> The container in the default 5.x install is a completely unmodified
> Jetty 8.x (soon to be Jetty 9.x) with a stripped and optimized config.
> The config for Jetty is similar to tomcat, you just need to figure out
> how to make it work with Apache like you would with Tomcat.
>
> Incidentially, at least for right now, you CAN still take the .war file
> out of the jetty install and put it in Tomcat just like you would have
> with a 4.3 or later version.  We are planning on making that impossible
> in a later 5.x version, but for right now, it is still possible.

Hmm well of the two options you present the second one sounds a little
easier and more attractive. However, when I tried doing just that like so:

[root@aoadbld00032la ~]# cp -v solr-5.1.0/server/webapps/solr.war
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/
`solr-5.1.0/server/webapps/solr.war' -> `/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/solr.war'

And then start tomcat up... I can't get to the solr interface :(

HTTP Status 503 - Server is shutting down or failed to initialize

*type* Status report

*message* *Server is shutting down or failed to initialize*

*description* *The requested service is not currently available.*
------------------------------
Apache Tomcat/8.0.21Not seeing anything telling in the logs, unfortunately:

[root@aoadbld00032la ~]# tail /usr/local/tomcat/logs/catalina.out
04-May-2015 15:48:26.945 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web
application directory /usr/local/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/webapps/ROOT has
finished in 32 ms
04-May-2015 15:48:26.946 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web
application directory /usr/local/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/webapps/host-manager
04-May-2015 15:48:26.979 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.jasper.servlet.TldScanner.scanJars At least one JAR was scanned
for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a
complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them.
Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP
compilation time.
04-May-2015 15:48:26.983 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web
application directory /usr/local/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/webapps/host-manager
has finished in 36 ms
04-May-2015 15:48:26.983 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web
application directory /usr/local/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/webapps/examples
04-May-2015 15:48:27.195 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.jasper.servlet.TldScanner.scanJars At least one JAR was scanned
for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a
complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them.
Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP
compilation time.
04-May-2015 15:48:27.245 INFO [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web
application directory /usr/local/apache-tomcat-8.0.21/webapps/examples has
finished in 262 ms
04-May-2015 15:48:27.248 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["http-nio-8080"]
04-May-2015 15:48:27.257 INFO [main]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler
["ajp-nio-8009"]
04-May-2015 15:48:27.258 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 3350 ms

However it sounds like you're sure it's supposed to work this way. Can I
get some advice on this error?

Thanks
Tim

--