Julio,
This is to convert the 1:n and m:n  relationships in a DB to
multivalued fields in solr. A single sql query ends up giving a 2D
matrix where each cell holds one value. It would be harder to
denormalize and extract the multivalued fields from a single result
set. Check the architecture to see the flow
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler#arch)
--Noble

--
--Noble Paul