Why exactly do you not want to use bundled examples. There is an
example that spins several servers next to each other on one machine.
Then you can examine everything in there.

I am missing something I guess.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
Solr Analyzers, Tokenizers, Filters, URPs and even a newsletter:
http://www.solr-start.com/