Oh ok. Thank youAlessandro.

On 5/27/2015 6:07 PM, Alessandro Benedetti wrote:
Actually it is both field level and field type level.
You decide based on your use case ( can happen that for the same field type
, you want sortMissingFirst for one field, and sortMissingLast for another)
.

I want to add a bonus note, related the ""( empty ) and null concept.

Be very careful you don't index empty values for your fields or this will
mess up the sorting.
Solr manage the missing values ( that are null values), and does not manage
the empty "" values.

Those values for a human are identical to null values, but not for solr.
So you can have very weird situations for your users.
So , to be sure everything work nice with sortMissing attribute, be sure to
not index empty values.

Cheers

Hi Derek,

They are at the fieldType Level. You might find some reference examples in
schema.xml using them.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Field+Type+Definitions+and+Properties