I think this is an oversight, rather than intentional (at least, I certainly
didn't intend to write it like this!).  The problem here will be that
CoreDescriptors are currently built entirely from core.properties files, and
the CoreLocators that construct them don't have any access to zookeeper.

Maybe the way forward is to move properties out of CoreDescriptor and have an
entirely separate CoreProperties object that is built and returned by the
ConfigSetService, and that is read via the ResourceLoader.  This would fit in
quite nicely with the changes I put up on SOLR-7570, in that you could have
properties specified on the collection config overriding properties from the
configset, and then local core-specific properties overriding both.

Do you want to open a JIRA bug, Steve?

Alan Woodward
www.flax.co.uk