I've set the field to be processed as such:
<fieldType name="sizes" class="solr.TrieDoubleField" precisionStep="6" />

and then have this in the fl box in Solr admin UI:
*, score, {!frange l=sum(size1, product(size1, .10))}size1

I'm trying to use the size1 field as the item upon which a frange is being
used, but also need to use the size1 value for the mathematical functions
themselves

I get this error:
error": { "msg": "Error parsing fieldname", "code": 400 }

thanks for any assistance or insight

--
*John Blythe*
Product Manager & Lead Developer