I noticed that when I issue the CREATE collection command to the api, it does
not automatically put a replica on every live node connected to zookeeper.

So, for example, if I have 3 solr nodes connected to a zookeeper ensemble and
create a collection like this:

/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=my_collection&numShards=1&replicationFactor=1&maxShardsPerNode=1&collection.configName=my_config

It will only create a core on one of the three nodes. I can make it work if I
change replicationFactor to 3. When standing up an entire stack using chef,
this all gets a bit clunky. I don't see any option such as "ALL" that would
just create a replica on all nodes regardless of size.

I'm guessing this is intentional, but curious about the reasoning.

Thanks!
Jim