I had thought about this in the past, but thought it might be too
expensive.  I guess in a search component I could look up all of the fields
that are in the index and only run queries against fields they should be
able to see once I know what is in the index (this is what you're
suggesting right?).

My concern would be that the number of fields per document would grow too
large to support this.  Our controls aren't simple like user or admin they
are complex combinations of authorizations so I would think there might be
a large number of fields that are generated using this approach.  Would
retrieving all field infos from Solr be expensive on each request to see
what they should be able to query?