commonField="true" can be added in any field when you are using an
XPathEntityProcessor.But you will never need to do so because only xml
has such a requirement. If you wish to add a string literal use a
TemplateTransformer and keep the <field <column="column" value="value"
template="my-string-literal"/>
The one in the patch has a bug use the attached one.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler#head-071ff018f44ecbdb1cf55afc4c2a857f44ea1ea4

--Noble

--
--Noble Paul