i ran a test.
the value for the field is taken to be 0 for the documents which dont have
that field.

This will return a correct result
1. if the documents are to  be put in the end of the sort, AND
2. all the values are positive.

is there some way to change this default value (preferably from outside via
a properties file or something similar)