Shawn, thanks so much, and this user forum is so helpful!

I will start use autocommit with confidence it will greatly help reducing
the false commit requests (a lot) from processes in our system.

Regarding the solr version, it is actually a big problem we have to resolve
sooner or later.

When we upgraded to Solr 3.5 about 2 years ago, to avoid re-index our large
data, we used :

<luceneMatchVersion>LUCENE_29</luceneMatchVersion>

which seems to work fine except a lot of such warnings in catalina.out:

WARNING: StopFilterFactory is using deprecated LUCENE_29 emulation. You
should at some point declare and reindex to at least 3.0, because 2.x
emulation is deprecated and will be removed in 4.0

We have a built a infrastructure which scales well using solr, is it a good
practice to upgrade to solr 4.x without using solrCloud if it is possible at
all?

thanks!
Renee