ant is very good at this sort of thing, and easier for Java devs to learn
than Make.  Python has a module called fabric that is also very fine, but
for my dev. ops. it is another thing to learn.
I tend to divide things into three categories:

 - Things that have to do with system setup, and need to be run as root.
For this I write a bash script (I should learn puppet, but...)
 - Things that have to do with one time installation as a solr admin user
with /bin/bash, including upconfig.   For this I use an ant build.
 - Normal operational procedures.   For this, I typically use Solr admin or
scripts, but I wish I had time to create a good webapp (or money to
purchase Fusion).