I backed up a bit. I took the stock solr download and did this:

solr-5.3.1>$ bin/solr -e techproducts

So, no SolrCloud, default example config, about as basic as you get. I
didn’t even bother indexing any docs. Then I issued this query:

http://localhost:8983/solr/techproducts/select?q=name:foo&rows=1&facet=true
&facet.field=popularity&facet.mincount=0&facet.limit=-1

This still causes an insert into the filterCache.

The only real difference I’m noticing vs my solrcloud collection is that
repeating the query increments cache lookups and hits. It’s still odd
though, because issuing new distinct queries causes a reported insert, but
not a lookup, so the cache hit ratio is always exactly 1.