On 07/10/2015 18:49, Lewin Joy (TMS) wrote:
Hi,

Is there anyway we can implement instant page previews in solr?
Just saw that Google Search Appliance has this out of the box.
Just like what google.com had previously. We need to display the content of the
result record when hovering over the link.

Thanks,
Lewin

Hi Lewin,

We built this feature for another search engine (based on Xapian, which I doubt many people have heard of) a long while ago. It's standalone and open source though so should be applicable:
https://github.com/flaxsearch/flaxcode/tree/master/flax_basic/libs/previewgen
It uses a headless version of Open Office under the hood to generate thumbbnail previews for various common file types, plus some ImageMagick for PDF, all wrapped up in Python. Bear in mind this is 6 years old so some updating might be required!

Cheers

Charlie

--
Charlie Hull