Is this a real problem or a worry? Do you have users that page really deep
and if so, have you considered other mechanisms for delivering what they
need?

The issue is that currently I have around 70M documents and some generic
queries are resulting in lots of pages. Now if I try deep navigation (to
page# 1000 for example), a lot of times the query takes so long that
Solr.NET throws operation time out exception. The first page is relatively
faster to load but it does take around few seconds as well. After reading
some documentation I realized that cursors could help and it does. I have
tried to following the test better performance:

1) Used cursors instead of start and row
2) Increased the RAM on my Solr machine to 14GB
3) Increase the JVM on that machine to 4GB
4) Increased the filterChache
5) Increased the docCache
6) Run Optimize on the Solr Admin

but still I get delays of around 16 seconds and sometimes even more.
What other mechanisms do you suggest I should use to handle this issue?

While pagination is faster than increasing the start parameter, the
difference is small as long as you stay below a start of 1000. 10K might
also work for you. Do your users page beyond that?
I can limit users not to go beyond 10K but still think at that level
cursors will be much faster than increasing the start variable as explained
here (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Pagination+of+Results
), have you tried both ways on your collection and it was giving you
similar results?