From:   Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
To:     solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Date:   10/09/2015 12:33 PM
Subject:        Re: How do I set up custom collection cores?

On 10/9/2015 10:03 AM, espe...@oreillyauto.com wrote:
> We are installing Alfresco One 5.0.1 with solr4 on a server that has an
> existing instance of tomcat7.  I am trying to find some better
> documentation on how to setup our cores.  In the solr4.xml located

<snip>

> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in
> classpath or '/var/lib/tomcat7/solr/collection1/conf'
>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.openResource
> (SolrResourceLoader.java:362)
>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.openConfig
> (SolrResourceLoader.java:308)
>         at org.apache.solr.core.Config.<init>(Config.java:116)
>         at org.apache.solr.core.Config.<init>(Config.java:86)
>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrConfig.<init>(SolrConfig.java:161)
>         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrConfig.readFromResourceLoader
> (SolrConfig.java:144)

Solr can't find the config for the collection1 core.

> When I try to define a docBase in
> the /etc/tomcat7/Catalina/localhost/solr4.xml file catalina.out logs has
> this:

It looks like docBase needs to point to the war file.  If you want to
change where Solr puts its data, you need to define either the
solr.solr.home java system property (on the java commandline --
-Dsolr.solr.home=/my/path) or the solr/home JNDI property.

The other parts of this are atleast moving me forward.  I added the
-Dsolr.solr.home=/data/alfresco_5.0.1/alf_data/solr4 to my Java startup and
I still get:

WARNING: A docBase /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/solr4.war inside the host
appBase has been specified, and will be ignored

Should I point the solr.home to /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/solr4 ?

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat#Configuring_Solr_Home_with_JNDI

Exactly what file/directory layout you need is dependent on the precise
Solr version and whether your solr.xml file (not the solr4.xml you
mentioned -- that's for your container and is not used by solr) is in
the new or old format.  The solr.xml file lives in the solr home directory.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solr.xml%204.4%20and%20beyond
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solr.xml%20%28supported%20through%204.x%29

Thanks,
Shawn

This communication and any attachments are confidential, protected by
Communications Privacy Act 18 USCS ยง 2510, solely for the use of the intended
recipient, and may contain legally privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, please return or destroy it immediately. Thank you.