Hi Eric,
As Shawn explained, memory is freed because it was used to cache portion of log file.

Since you are already with Sematext, I guess you are aware, but doesn't hurt to remind you that we also have Logsene that you can use to manage your logs: http://sematext.com/logsene/index.html

Thanks,
Emir

On 20.10.2015 17:42, Shawn Heisey wrote:
On 10/20/2015 9:19 AM, Eric Torti wrote:
I had a 52GB solr-8983-console.log on my Solr 5.2.1 Amazon Linux
64-bit box and decided to `cat /dev/null > solr-8983-console.log` to
free space.

The weird thing is that when I checked Sematext I noticed the OS had
freed a lot of memory at the same exact instant I did that.
On that memory graph, the legend doesn't indicate which of the graph
colors represent each of the four usage types at the top -- they all
have blue checkboxes, so I can't tell for sure what changed.

If the number that dropped is "cached" (which I think is likely) then
everything is working exactly as it should.  The OS had simply cached a
large chunk of the logfile, exactly as it is designed to do, and once
the file was deleted, it stopped reserving that memory and made it
available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_cache

Thanks,
Shawn