From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apa...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:11 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr.cmd cannot create collection in Solr 5.2.1

On 10/26/2015 2:23 AM, Adrian Liew wrote:
> {
>   "responseHeader":{
>     "status":0,
>     "QTime":1735},
>
> "failure":{"":"org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpSolrClient$Remote
> SolrExce ption:Error from server at http://172.18.111.112:8983/solr:
> Error CREATEing Solr Core 'sitecore_core_index_shard1_replica2':
> Unable to create core [sitecore_core _index_shard1_replica2] Caused
> by: Can't find resource 'solrconfig.xml' in class path or
> '/configs/sitecore_common_config',
> cwd=D:\\Solr-5.2.1-Instance\\server"}
> }
>
> I do a  check to see if solrconfig.xml is present in the Zookeeper, if I run
> zkCli.bat -cmd list on the each of the server, I can see that solrconfig.xml
> is listed:
>
> DATA:
>
> /configs (1)
>   /configs/sitecore_common_config (1)
>    /configs/sitecore_common_config/conf (8)
>     /configs/sitecore_common_config/conf/currency.xml (0)

I think the problem is that you included the conf directory in what you
uploaded to zookeeper.  The config files (solrconfig.xml, schema.xml,
etc) should be sitting right in the directory you upload, not inside a conf
subdirectory.  This is somewhat counterintuitive when compared to what happens
when NOT running in cloud mode, but the logic is fairly
simple:  The conf directory is what gets uploaded to zookeeper.

A question for fellow committers:  Is it too much handholding for us to look in
a conf directory in zookeeper?  My bias is that we should not do that, but I do
not see it as particularly harmful.

Thanks,
Shawn