How about having let's say 4 nodes on each side and make one node in one of
data centers a observer. When data center with majority of the nodes go
down, bounce the observer by reconfiguring it as a voting member.

You will have to revert back the observer back to being one.

There will be a short outage as far as indexing is concerned but queries
should continue to work and you don't have to take all the zookeeper nodes
down.

-- Pushkar Raste