Out of the box the Suggester componenent provides a set of Lookup
implementation to look for the suggestions from the dictionary selected.
Most of the suggestion lookups are FST based ( except the Analysing Infix
one , that relies on an external auxiliary Lucene Index) .

Depending on your requirement you should customise the lookUp
implementation to score the suggestions taking in consideration the
distance.
Customising the "Auxiliary Lucene Index " based look up strategies would be
easier.
Playing with the FST look up would be much more complicated.

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro

"Tyger, tyger burning bright