Steve,

In short, don't worry: it all gets taken care of.

The way services work on Linux is, when the system shuts down it will
basically call "service (servicname) stop" on each service. That calls the
bin/init.d/solr script with a "stop" argument, which in turn calls the
bin/solr script with a "stop" argument (I'm referring to where the files
are in the distribution, not where they get installed).

k/r,
Scott

--
Scott Stults | Founder & Solutions Architect | OpenSource Connections, LLC
http://www.opensourceconnections.com