Short-circuit attempt.  Why put 3 shards on a single server in the first place?
 If you are working with large index and need to break it into smaller shards,
break it in shards where each shard fully utilizes the server it is on.

Other than my thought above, I think you hit the main differences below.  The
only other thing I'd add is that multi-core Solr is not one's only option -
servlet containers with Solr homes defined via JNDI is another route.  I've
used this with a lot of success with Jetty (piece of cake to configure and
works beautifully).

Otis