Hi Craig,

As part of my manual testing for the 5.3 RC, I tried out collection admin
request restriction and update restriction on a single node setup. I don't
have the manual test steps documented but it wasn't too intensive I'd
admit. I think the complications involved in stopping specific nodes and
bringing them back up stop us from testing the node restarts as part of the
automated tests but we should find a way and fix that.

I've just found another issue and opened SOLR-8355 for the same and it
involves the "update" permission.

As far as patching 5.3.1 go, it's involves more than just this one patch
and this patch alone wouldn't help you resolve this issue. You'd certainly
need the patch from SOLR-8167. Also, make sure you actually use the
'commit' and not the posted patch as the patch on SOLR-8167 is different
from the commit. I don't think you'd need anything other than those patches
and whatever comes from 8355 to have a patched 5.3.1.

Any help in testing this out would be awesome and thanks for reporting and
following up on the issues!

Anshum Gupta