Right, that's the most common reason to run multiple JVMs. You must
be running multiple replicas on each box though to make that viable. By
running say 2 JVMS, you're essentially going from hosting, say, 4 replicas
in one JVM to 2 replicas in each of 2 JVMs.

You'll incur some overhead due to the second instance of Java running,
but that's usually negligible.

There's no reason at all to run an independent Jetty, just use the startup
scripts to specify a second port as outlined above. If you use the startup
script and specify the -e cloud example (on your local box, say), go ahead
and specify two instances of Solr. The script will echo out the exact command
used to start them up and you can use that as an example.

Best,
Erick