On 1/8/2016 6:30 AM, Bob Lawson wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.  The problem I'm trying to solve is to automate
> whatever steps I can in configuring Solr for our customer.  Rather than an
> admin have to edit schema.xml, I thought it would be easier and less
> error-prone to do it programmatically.  But I'm a novice, so if there is a
> better, more standard way, please let me know.  Thanks!!!

I personally find editing the schema.xml to be the best option, but I
have not actually used the Schema API.  At the point in my deployment
where I was making frequent schema edits (mostly on 1.4 versions, with
some of it on 3.x versions), the API did not exist.

The information about this API in the reference guide looks pretty nice.

> PS:  What do you mean by "XY problem"?

This is summarized here:

https://home.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem

Thanks,