As Jens mentioned you use aliasing for referring to a group of collections.
E.g. below command you can create a alias called quarterly for 3 separate
collections Jan,Feb & Mar and then you can use alias quarterly to refer all
of them in single query

http://
<server>:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATEALIAS&name=Quarterly&collections=Jan,Feb,Mar

http://
<server>:8983/solr/Quarterly/select?q=fire&wt=json&indent=true&collection=
Quarterly&facet=true&facet.field=docType&rows=300