I'm out of the office now so I don't have the numbers to hand but from memory I
think there are probably around 800-1000 fields or so. I will confirm on Monday.

If i have time over the weekend I will try and recreate the problem at home and
see if I can post up a sample.
From: Yonik Seeley [ysee...@gmail.com]
Sent: 19 February 2016 16:25
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Slow commits

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Adam Neal [Extranet] <an...@mass.co.uk> wrote:
> I've recently upgraded from 4.10.2 to 5.3.1 and I've hit an issue with slow
> commits on one of my cores. The core in question is relatively small (56k
> docs) and the issue only shows when commiting after a number of deletes,
> commiting after additions is fine. As an example commiting after deleting
> approximately 10% of the documents takes around 25mins. The same test on the
> 4.10.2 instance takes around 1 second.
>
> I have done some investigation and the problem appears to be caused by having
> dynamic fields, the core in question has a large number, performing the same
> operation on this core with the dynamic fields removed sees a big improvement
> on the performance with the commit taking 11 seconds (still not quite on a
> par with 4.10.2).

Dynamic fields is a Solr schema concept, and does not translate to any
differences in Lucene.
You may be hitting something due to a large number of fields (at the
lucene level, each field name is a different field).  How many
different fields (i.e. fieldnames) do you have across the entire

-Yonik

This E-mail is the property of Mass Consultants Ltd. It is confidential and
intended only for the use of the addressee or with its permission.  Use by
anyone else for any purpose is prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, you
should not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail and should notify us
of receipt immediately by return e-mail to the address where the e-mail
originated.

This E-mail may not have been sent through a secure system and accordingly (i)
its contents should not be relied upon by any person without independent
verification from Mass Consultants Ltd and (ii) it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this
message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No
responsibility is accepted by Mass Consultants Ltd in this regard.

Any e-mails that are sent to Mass Consultants Ltd's e-mail addresses may be
monitored by systems or persons other than the addressee, for the purposes of
ascertaining whether the communication complies with the law and Mass
Consultants Ltd's policies.

Mass Consultants Ltd is registered in England No. 1705804, Enterprise House,
Great North Road, Little Paxton, Cambs., PE19 6BN, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 (0)
1480 222600.