Shawn, not sure if it's the same case as yours, but I've hit NPEs upgrading
to 5.5 too. In my case though, SolrJ talks to a proxy servlets before the
request gets routed to Solr, and that servlet didn't handle binary content
stream well.

I had to add another resource method to the servlet which handled
"appliation/javabin" and "application/octet-stream" and received the body
as an InputStream.

Again, this may not be your case, but I hope that might help you resolve
the error.

Shai