According to what you describe, I really don't see the need of core
discovery in Solr Cloud. It will only be used to eagerly load a core on
startup.
If I understand correctly, when ZK = truth, this eager loading can/should
be done by consulting zookeeper instead of local disk.
I agree that it is really confusing.
The best strategy that I see form is to stop relying on core.properties and
keep it all in zookeeper.