I've experimented with that a bit, and Shawn added my comments in IRC to his
Solr/GC page here: https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey

The relevant bit:
"With values of 4096 and 32768, the IRC user was able to achieve 15% and 19%
reductions in average pause time, respectively, with the maximum pause cut
nearly in half. That option was added to the options you can find in the Solr
5.x start script, on a 12GB heap."

This was with CMS, obviously. I haven’t repeated the experiment recently, but
I’m using the option in production at this point.