Charlie, thank you for replying and for the link to the blog about XJoin.
I am still concerned about performance and caching.  Our environment is
distributed and the external service would not be running on localhost.  In
our still experimental set-up, at least, the call to the service is much
too slow to be a viable option without caching.   I am new to Solr caching,
hence all the questions in my original post.

Thanks again,
Jitka