So I was able to create the core using the cli not with root but with
'solr' user access. I sudo as solr in the box and ran the command to create
the core

[solr@solr bin]$ ./solr create -c demo

Copying configuration to new core instance directory:
/var/solr/data/demo

Creating new core 'demo' using
command:http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=demo&instanceDir=demo

{
  "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":2724},
  "core":"demo"}

This created the required file/folder structure under "/var/solr/data" It
has all the default files, I need some direction to configure existing
Cassandra keyspace into my solr core. I have already placed the Cassandra
jdbc drivers into my Java/lib, I believe I should be using the 'DIH'
example configs for getting the data into solr ?

Regards,
Bhanu Prasad