You need to be careful adding new nodes to Zookeeper as you change the
number of nodes required for quorum. If you then remove nodes
afterwards, how will the cluster know whether they were intentionally
removed, rather than being simply down?

One thing I've done recently, which seems to have worked, is to use a
Solr node embedded Zookeeper but no collections as a Zookeeper host.
This seems to work fine. So, what you could do is just add more nodes to
your Solr setup, replicate your collections onto those new nodes, and
once they've replicated successfully, remove them from the original
nodes, leaving them doing nothing but serving Zookeeper.

Essentially the issue with embedded Zookeeper, at least as I understand
it, is that it conflates two roles which should be kept separate - that
of hosting Zookeeper and that of hosting indexes. The above solution
fits in with that role separation.

Upayavira