I think there are some root paths defined in solr.sh file that will be in
bin directory. You can pick root directory variable from there and use it.
Example in solrconfig.xml, there is a value as :
" ${solr.install.dir:../../../..}" I think solr.install.dir is the root
path and its definition is set in solr.sh. I'm not sure but worth giving a
try.