Erick,

I was referring to the Achieved Replication Factor section of the  Solr
reference guide
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Read+and+Write+Side+Fault+Tolerance>

Maybe I'm misreading it. If an update succeeds on the leader but fails on
the replica, it's a success for the client - the replica should get updated
when its on line again later. For whatever reason one or more updates never
got synced - certainly the root cause was the server being bounced.

I don't retry failed attempts because the app is supposed to record a
failure so it can be rerun later. I may need to revisit my error handling.

In my case updates are made in batches of up to 5000 docs. An explicit
commit is issued at logical completion locations between batches that may be
after just one doc, or 20000. Auto commit is at 10 seconds, and auto soft
commit 1 second.

But to fix the current situation, deleting a replica is the way to go? It
happens to be very small - lucky me.