With the per-collection state.json, if "something" goes to a node that doesn't
host a replica for a node, it downloads the state for the "other"
collection then
throws it away.

In this case, "something" is apparently asking the nodes hosting collectionA to
do "something" with collections B and/or C. Some support for this would
be if further investigation shows that the nodes that _do_ re-download the
info did _not_ have replicas B and C.

What the "something" is that sends requests I'm not quite sure, but
that's a place
to start.

Best,
Erick