For what it’s worth, I’d suggest you go into a conversation with Azul with a
more explicit “I’m looking to buy” approach. I reached out to them with a more
“I’m exploring my options” attitude, and never even got a trial. I get the
impression their business model involves a fairly expensive (to them) trial
process, so they’re looking for more urgency on the part of the client than I
was expressing.

Instead, I spent a few weeks analyzing how my specific index allocated memory.
This turned out to be quite worthwhile. Armed with that information, I was able
to file a few patches (coming in 6.1, perhaps?) that reduced allocations by a
pretty decent amount on large indexes. (SOLR-8922, particularly) It also
straight-up ruled out certain things Solr supports, because the allocations
were just too heavy. (SOLR-9125)

I suppose the next thing I’m considering is using multiple JVMs per host,
essentially one per shard. This wouldn’t change the allocation rate, but does
serve to reduce the worst-case GC pause, since each JVM can have a smaller
heap. I’d be trading a little p50 latency for some p90 latency reduction, I’d
expect. Of course, that adds a bunch of headache to managing replica locations
too.