Any distributed query falls into the two-phase process. Actually, I think some
components may require a third phase. (faceting?)

However, there are also cases where only a single pass is required. A
fl=id,score will only be a single pass, for example, since it doesn’t need to
get the field values.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5768 would be a good place to read
about some of this, and provides a way to help force a one-pass even if you
need other fields.