Thanks John, and Mary Joe

Yeah it's definitely more about "relevance" than ES or Solr. So the choice
in search engine is more an implementation detail. We chose ES because it's
more book/educational friendly, not necessarily because it's the best
choice as a search engine. It's query language is closer to Lucene, so it
helps for educational purposes without having to teach readers Java and
Lucene. We can also do everything (schema, queries, etc) in JSON in an
ipython notebook, which is very conducive for book content.

If you're interested in the pros/cons of Solr ES around relevancy, I
definitely tried to document where we hit the edges of ES's capabilities in
blog posts like
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2015/12/15/solr-vs-elasticsearch-relevance-part-one/
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2016/01/22/solr-vs-elasticsearch-relevance-part-two/

I was going to write a part 3 about plugins, but Flax's post seems to
summarize this well enough so that I'm not sure I'll need to!
http://www.flax.co.uk/blog/2016/01/27/fun-frustration-writing-plugin-elasticsearch-ontology-indexing/
(TLDR: Solr is easier to write plugins for)

Anyway as per the book. We try to do our best to map what we do to Solr in
a fairly detailed appendix. Let us know how well you think our strategy
works!

Best
-Doug