I would call this a bug...

I'm going out on a limb and say that if you define a field in the included
XML file, you will get this error.

As long as the field is defined first in schema.xml, you can "copyFIeld" it
or whatever in the include file, but apparently fields MUST be created in
the schema.xml file.

That makes use of the include for custom things somewhat moot - at least in
my situation.

I'd love to be wrong by the way, but that's what my tests suggest right
now...