Hi, I work on a python Solr Client
<http://solrclient.readthedocs.io/en/latest/> library and there is a
reindexing helper module that you can use if you are on Solr 4.9+. I use it
all the time and I think it works pretty well. You can re-index all
documents from a collection into another collection or dump them to the
filesystem as JSON. It also supports parallel execution and can run
independently on each shard. There is also a way to resume if your job
craps out half way through if your existing schema is set up with a good
date field and unique id.

You can read the documentation here:
http://solrclient.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Reindexer.html

Code is pretty short and is here:
https://github.com/moonlitesolutions/SolrClient/blob/master/SolrClient/helpers/reindexer.py

Here is sample:
from SolrClient import SolrClient
from SolrClient.helpers import Reindexer

r = Reindexer(SolrClient('http://source_solr:8983/solr'), SolrClient('
http://destination_solr:8983/solr') , source_coll='source_collection',
dest_coll='destination-collection')
r.reindex()