: I've been trying to return a field of type ExternalFileField in the search
: result. Upon examining XMLWriter class, it seems like Solr can't do this out
: of the box. Therefore, I've tried to hack Solr to enable  this behaviour.
: The goal is to call to ExternalFileField.getValueSource(SchemaField
: field,QParser parser) in XMLWriter.writeDoc(String name, Document
: document,...) method. There are two issues with doing this:

Some of what you're specificly asking about could probably be achieved by
modifying the XMLWriter constructor to hang on to the SolrCore associated
with the request.

In general though i wondering if steping back a bit and modifying your
request handler to use a SolrDocumentList where you've already flattened
the ExternalFileField into each SolrDocument would be an easier approach
-- then you wouldnt' need to modify the ResponseWriter at all.

-Hoss