That's strange....

Is there any chance that the schema changed? This is _really_ a shot
in the dark, but perhaps the optimize "normalized" the field
definitions stored with each segment.

Imagine segments 1-5 have one definition, and segments 6-10 have a
different definition for your field. Optimize would have to resolve
this somehow, perhaps that process made the magic happen?

NOTE: I'm not conversant with the internals of merge, so this may be
totally bogus......

Best,
Erick