You can only put 2 billion documents in one core, I would suggest to use solr
cloud. you need calculate how many solr document in your data and then
decide how many shards to go. you can get many useful resource in website,
I just provide one here.
http://www.slideshare.net/anshumg/best-practices-for-highly-available-and-large-scale-solrcloud