Hoss,

This is still extremely interesting area for possible improvements; I simply
don't want the topic to die
http://www.nabble.com/Facet-Performance-td7746964.html

I am currently using faceting on single-valued _tokenized_ field with huge
amount of documents; _unsynchronized_ version of FIFOCache; 1.5 seconds
average response time (for faceted queries only!)

I think we can use additional cache for facet results (to store calculated
values!); Lucene's FieldCache can be used only for non-tokenized
single-valued non-bollean fields

-Fuad