On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:18 PM Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What you haven't mentioned is how often you add new docs. Is it once a
> day? Steadily
> from 8:00 to 17:00?

Alas, it's a steady trickle during business hours. We're ingesting court
documents as they're posted on court websites, then sending alerts as soon
as possible.

> Whatever, your soft commit really should be longer than your autowarm
> interval. Configure
> autowarming to reference queries (firstSearcher or newSearcher events
> or autowarm
> counts in queryResultCache and filterCache. Say 16 in each of these
> latter for a start) such
> that they cause the external file to load. That _should_ prevent any
> queries from being
> blocked since the autowarming will happen in the background and while
> it's happening
> incoming queries will be served by the old searcher.

I want to make sure I understand this properly and document this for future
people that may find this thread. Here's what I interpret your advice to be:

0. Slacken my auto soft commit interval to something more like a minute.

1. Set up a query in the newSearcher listener that uses my external file
field.
1a. Do the same in firstSearcher if I want newly started solr to warm up
before getting queries (this doesn't matter to me, so I'm skipping this).

and/or

2. Set autowarmcount in queryResultCache and filterCache to 16 so that the
top 16 query results from the previous searcher are regenerated in the new
searcher.

Doing #1 seems like a safe strategy since it's guaranteed to hit the
external file field. #2 feels like a bonus.

I'm a bit confused about the example autowarmcount for the caches, which is
0. Why not set this to something higher? I guess it's a RAM utilization vs.
speed tradeoff? A low number like 16 seems like it'd have minimal impact on
RAM?

Thanks for all the great replies and for everything you do for Solr. I
truly appreciate your efforts.

Mike