There's no PDF writer that I know of, and I doubt there's much
enthusiasm for creating one as part of Solr. ResponseWriters are
pluggable so this would certainly be possible.

At root, in a response writer you just have a map of key/value pairs
(it's a little more complicated than that, but not much) that you can
do whatever you want with, either on Solr or on a SolrJ client.

Not much help I know...