so if the field was named metatag.date q={!prefix f=metatag.date}2016-10....

----- Original Message -----

From: "Erik Hatcher" <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:46:32 PM
Subject: Re: field set up help

Given what you’ve said, my hunch is you could make the query like this:

    q={!prefix f=field_name}2016-10

tada!  ?!

there’s nothing wrong with indexing dates as text like that, as long as your
queries are performantly possible.   And in the case of the query type you
mentioned, the text/string’ish indexing you’ve done is suited quite well to
prefix queries to grab dates by year, year-month, and year-month-day.   But you
could, if needed to get more sophisticated with date queries (DateRangeField is
my new favorite) you can leverage ParseDateFieldUpdateProcessorFactory without
having to change the incoming format.

        Erik