I think I figured out a very hacky "work around" - does this look like it will work consistently?

json.facet={
    code_s:{
        limit:-1,
        type:terms,
        field:code_s,
        facet:{
            issuedate_tdt:{
                type:terms,
                field:issuedate_tdt,
                sort:{idate:desc},
                limit:1,
                /** convert date to a number for sorting, as the date
                    is being faceted against itself, it should have
                     only one possible facet value */
                facet:{
                    idate:"max(issuedate_tdt)"
                }