With those settings, you never commit the documents on the target,
thus they are never searchable on the target.

No, I do _not_ recommend you issue a manual commit on the target,
that was just a manual test to see if your issue was about commits. I'd
just either set openSearcher to true in the <autocommit> section or
perhaps set autoSoftCommit to something other than -1, which means
"never". Set it to as long as you can stand, soft commits are not as
expensive as hard commits, but they aren't free.

See:
https://lucidworks.com/blog/2013/08/23/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

Best,
Erick